Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To watch the corn grow...

I have been introduced to the wonderful thing that is wikiquote today, and it has improved my day immeasurably. I'll share with you one of my favourites from English author, poet and artist John Ruskin

To watch the corn grow, and the blossoms set; to draw hard breath over ploughshare or spade; to read, to think, to love, to hope, to pray - these are the things that make men happy.

And how true that is. Whether your 'ploushshare' is a backhoe, or a desk, or a stove, to be happy you need to feel that you have expended your energy in a way that brings you satisfaction. My ideal has always been a more literal version of this quote - to make my life by the work of my hands, to see the hand of the goddess in the turning of the seasons, and feel the warmth of the sun soaked up by the soil, and at the end of the day, to relax in warmth, and read, laugh, make and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment