Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rainy day planning

The rain has rolled in again, so today I sat on the couch in front of the heater with the cats, watching True Blood on DVD and started planning my vegie garden.

The area of the vegie garden is a large rectangle shape, roughly divided into quarters, and at present it is covered in weeds of one sort or another. Between showers, I started clearing the weeds and rubbish out of the long rose bed that runs diagonally across the quarter closest to the house. At the moment it has six standard roses in it, and space for a seventh one, some very smothered looking strawberry plants, a gypsophlia plant and some bulbs.
My plan is to remove one of the roses which suckers continually, and then relocate the gypsophlia, strawberries and bulbs, and underplant the roses with chives. This will keep the black spot and aphids under control in the roses and mean I never run out of chives again! The purple flowers should look pretty too.

1 comment: