Saturday, September 11, 2010

Gin and tonic cures everything

Today was my first day back at work after my 'holiday', and I only just stopped myself from throwing the alarm clock at the wall when it went off at 4.30 this morning. I argued with myself for a quarter of an hour, then got out of bed, and tried out some energising balm that I got from The Body Shop while I was away. I think it helped, but at least I smelt nice anyway. (For a little while!)
In among the general household faffing about between milkings, I laid one of the paths in the vegie garden. It may not be the most even or professional looking piece of paving, but it is done, and that's the main thing. I wore knee pads, but even so, I don't think I'll be doing the other path for a few days. My body feels like an old tractor that's being held together with baling twine and tie wire at the moment. The first thing I did when I got home from work tonight was wash down two ibuprofen with a gin and tonic. I feel much better now.
While I was away, I found myself thinking about the vegie garden almost like it was a living breathing being. I would think about the cats, wonder if they'd got into any fights with roaming ferals, wonder how Mavis and Madge were laying and whether the bower birds were eating their food, and then I'd think of the garden - had the spinach got any new leaves, was the first asparagus up yet, were the new roses okay, was the peach tree flowering yet.
My life seems to have shifted slightly. I feel somehow more myself than I have in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment